As a socially conscious landscape designer, I am always trying to get to know my clients because that is where most of my design inspiration comes from. My perceptive approach to design developed in graduate school, as I worked on my thesis regarding the promotion of public parks and street spaces in inner-city neighborhoods. My design proposal was truly a democratic one, and the same philosophy applies to the residential work that I have done and continue to do. As I grow as a professional, I want to help my clients see what I see - creative and specific solutions that are unique to my clients' personalities, likes, and stories.

Friday, February 19, 2010

My Interpretation Of Van Gogh's Sunflowers

Hello Everyone,

I know I haven't updated in a while, so I decided to post one of my latest watercolor paintings. It is my own interpretation of the great Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers painting which was done with oil on canvas during the late 1800's. As part of his still life paintings, Van Gogh did a series of sunflower paintings, many of which were sunflowers in vases. For more information, please see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflowers_%28series_of_paintings%29

I am a huge fan of van Gogh and a huge fan of watercolor painting. For watercolor painting, you can use any type of watercolor paper (whatever is on sale at the art store). I have a Winsor and Newton Watercolor Compact Set and a few tubes. Please see here for reference:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-artists-watercolor-gift-sets/

I think Winsor and Newton are the best watercolor paints - ask Chip Sullivan :)
Speaking of Chip Sullivan, I would like to credit him for teaching me the art of watercolor. He was a professor of mine from U.C. Berkeley and he has done a lot of great work. Check out his website:
http://www.gonzogardens.com/index.html

You should also have some good watercolor brushes, a watercolor board (any hardboard will do), and drafting tape. Here is the process:

1. First, tape your watercolor sheet onto the board on all 4 sides, along the perimeter. Make sure the sheet is as taut as possible.
2. Apply a wash onto the paper with a large brush. The wash can be just water, or it can have a tiny bit of pigment in it, depending on what kind of tone you're going for in your painting. For example, if you're painting a sky at dusk, I like to wash with a VERY slightly pigmented indigo/purple.
3. Let the wash dry COMPLETELY.
4. Then, paint your subject! Be careful not to mix colors ON the paper, if you don't intend to. Make sure you wait for the water to dry completely before adding the next color/application, unless you want the colors to mix on the paper.
5. Mix colors on the actual watercolor palette, especially since most things are not just one perfect color.
6. After you finish painting, let it dry.
7. You can take off the tape now - do it slowly and carefully, and make sure you use painter's tape or drafting tape since those are easier to pull off. 
8. Enjoy your masterpiece and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment