As a socially conscious landscape designer, I am always trying to get to know my clients because that is where most of my design inspiration comes from. My perceptive approach to design developed in graduate school, as I worked on my thesis regarding the promotion of public parks and street spaces in inner-city neighborhoods. My design proposal was truly a democratic one, and the same philosophy applies to the residential work that I have done and continue to do. As I grow as a professional, I want to help my clients see what I see - creative and specific solutions that are unique to my clients' personalities, likes, and stories.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Field Trip to the Getty Center

Last week, I took my architecture class to the Getty Center in Los Angeles. Luckily, the Getty Center is located only a few miles north of UCLA, so that made getting there very easy. Ofcourse the students in my class were more excited about going on a field trip, rather than visiting Richard Meier's masterpiece. "What is the Getty Center?" some of the students asked me. "It is a wonderful institution for the arts and humanities and it is Richard Meier's greatest project."

After parking in a separate parking structure at the bottom of the hill, we took a tram to the top, where the beautiful, travertine-cladded, 6-building complex awaited. I immediately gave my students the day's assignment, which included drawing both an architecture and a garden detail. They soon got to work. "Why do you guys think Richard Meier selected the color white for the Getty Center?" I asked them. "What was his design intention?"
"Because he wanted the building to be pure."
"Because he wanted everything to match with one color."
"Because he wanted a lot of light in his buildings."
All very good answers. As you may know, Richard Meier was almost obsessed with the color white. It is very apparent in many of his designs. In his words, "Architecture should help reflect changes in nature...I think it (architecture) should help intensify one's perception of the changing colors of nature, changing colors of the day, rather than attempt to have the architecture change." Therefore, "White is the light." -Richard Meier

After about 15 minutes of drawing, they were ready to traverse down to the whimsical garden, the brilliant creation of artist Robert Irwin. After spending some more time drawing and answering a few site analysis questions, the students were ready to go inside the museum, where we viewed original paintings by Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, Cezanne, and we viewed some wonderful photography exhibits, including several from the mastermind of Sebastiao Salgado. At the end of the field trip, most of the students were intrigued by the garden, expressing that the garden was their favorite part of the Getty Center. I think my students have very good taste :)




No comments:

Post a Comment